Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Social Media - Really?

Dear Readers,

I'm beginning to feel incredibly old and fuddy-duddy-ish.
Nope, I'm not talking about people not giving up seats on the bus or train for me - WHICH THEY COULD.

I'm not even complaining about being called "sir" with a tinge of looking-down-the-nose irony by the seemingly twelve year old behind the computer help counter - WHICH THEY SHOULDN'T.

No.

I am talking about the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad thing that has replaced common sense and uncommon courtesy.


Social Media.

I am appalled  at the fact that people have come to the conclusion that, no matter what hurtful, hateful and berating things they choose to put out into the world on venues such as Twitter, Facebook, etc, that it's okay...because, somehow, they have free reign to be awful when not face to face with their victim.

It is, I fear, a growing concern amongst anyone with a conscience. Oh, WAIT. It must not be a growing concern at all!

My parents brought me up with a certain few rules to live by and one of those rules that I find has kept me in a lot of trouble over these many years is this:

Never say anything behind anyone's back that would not say - or have not said - to their face!

I believe that those who would use (anti)social media to broadcast messages of hate, cruelty or misogyny are cowards who hide behind the barest anonymity of the handheld keyboard to do the dirty work that they wouldn't have the strength of character to say in person or to deal with the personal and emotional fallout that their words create.

No comments:

Post a Comment